Kipkirui Lang’at

Biography

Specialization: Agribusiness Management

Qualifications

Award Republic of Kenya

  1. The Order of the Grand Warrior of Kenya (OGW) – 11th December 2002)
  2. The Order of the Moran of the Burning Spear (MBS)-11th December 2014)

Currently semi-retired works as a Consultant/ Adviser in Agribusiness and Landscape Management

Was the(immeadiate past) Managing Director of New Kenya Co-operative Creameries Ltd a large dairy processing company in Kenya and Chairman of Kenya Dairy Processors association and the Eastern and Southern African Dairy Association. Has a combined work experience of 35 years an Animal production and a veterinary practitioner, Business manager and Chief Executive of various Agribusiness organizations in East Africa.

 

Abstract

The Demand for Milk: What it means for Africa? A Close look at East Africa.

There is little surplus milk that is available for trade across border in Africa in general. In the East African Community and Comesa region only 6 per cent available is available for trade among the countries and few countries have little or no surplus. The fact that it seems as though 94 percent of the milk seems to be imported is misleading as the region and Africa in general has a unique consumption pattern compared to the rest of the world and is only 6 per cent of world total. The supply and demand gap for dairy products that is met by imports from countries in Europe and Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and the USA. There is also increased movement of dairy products from surplus-producing areas to deficit areas in Eastern Africa. There is growth of local dairy firm’s production due to investment in modern manufacturing facilities Demand for milk is, however, growing in Africa. Tetra Pak projects a 50 percent in liquid dairy consumption, growing from 15 billion liters in 2010 to almost 25 billion liters in 2020. Milk consumption is estimated at 37 litres per capita per annum way below the 200 litres WHO recommendation. Population growth, urbanisation, rising incomes and changing lifestyles are the main drivers of this trend

Eastern African dairy farming and milk marketing represents 68% of the continent’s milk output with most of the production coming from Ethiopia Kenya, Uganda anand Tanzania. The sector also generates good economic benefits for the countries. Kenya is a significant player in the Dairy industry in East Africa. With an average consumption of over 100 liters per capita per annum Kenya is the leading country in Africa. Kenyans will consume an average of 137 litres per capita per annum by 2022 and it is projected that production will fall short of demand by 61.3 million liters in 2017 and 381.6 million liters in 2022. This growth is largely as result of increasing herd size rather than rising productivity levels. These projected deficits can be overcome with targeted interventions in the sector. Industry analysts suggest that there is significant market opportunity for small-scale dairy farmers if they can increase productivity. The main challenge lies in reducing the cost of production, improving quality, and boosting marketing efficiency


Related Sessions